After my last print of the legs and mary jane shoes I thought I might try something a little different. I unearthed my bag of lace out the other day that I purchased last year for a Howard Arkley project we did at school with the lace used on the paintings to create patterns. My plan was to use it in a similar way as a stencil with the silkscreen and create pretty patterned tights. You can see my stencil above, waiting to be messed up with red ink.
It didn't work out the way I wanted and too much ink came through the lace and I discovered that it seemed to work better when I used the inked up lace directly onto the fabric. Although I didn't end up with the result I was after, I discovered some different techniques and have already started an artwork using the inked up lace. I think if I use a thicker lace, maybe even the plastic stuff, I can still end up with the results I was looking for in the first place. More pictures of the process are on Flickr and I will post more photos of the discoveries tomorrow.