Friday, November 28, 2008

Getaway





Gareth and I spent a couple of days in Daylesford this week for his birthday and I don't think I've been away on a trip for so long I almost forgot what you are meant to do. It was going to be a bit of a surprise but I kind of blabbed about it and spoilt it a little. We stayed in a lovely little place called Pendower House and the woman who ran it, Renee, was fantastic. It is right in the city center, so walking distance to everything. The room was great, not too pricey and we had a lovely home cooked breakfast in the morning as well.

We went to the Lake House the night before for an ooh la la dinner, and it was pretty darn good. We have both been watching Top Chef for a few years now, and it was nice to have the type of stuff they cook on that show. My favourite dish was the dessert plate, which surprised me because dessert isn't normally favourite. It had a different selection of citrus stuff, like mousse, jelly and other things, so you got to try a bit of everything. However after three courses and a couple of bottles of French wine I was feeling a little bit over it all.

We also stopped off at Breakfast and Beer on the way to dinner for a drink on Kitty's recommendation and it was another great place. The bar lady was really friendly and we had a good chat to her about different beers. The picture above is of Trentham Falls, we stopped off on the way home for a bit of sightseeing. We also went to one of the spa mineral water spots, but the water tastes horrid. I had fond memories of grade six camp and drinking the fizzy water, but this wasn't so nice at all.

This weekend I am on the double market blitz, with Rose Street on Saturday and the Spiegeltent on Sunday. Maybe all of you who are out and about at the Design Market can pop over. I know I will be going over to say hello to Ink and Spindle!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spent quite a bit of time in Daylesford as a kid. We lived in Ballarat and would go out a lot with all sorts of plastic containers to collect the water. Some of the springs definitely tasted better than others, due to whatever minerals were more predominant in the rocks that the streams ran over. Sounds like you got a dodgy one! Even the dodgy ones tasted pretty good with cordial though. :)

Penny said...

Sounds so nice, I love Daylesford! Chris and I went to the Mornington Peninsula for a few days this week for his birthday, I took some work to do but thankfully I didn't feel like doing any of it. So nice to have a break!

Lauren said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! I'm a fan of Daylesford too. I got married there :-)

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

Hellooooo... *deeply* jealous. I want a holiday and yours sounds fantastic!