Monday, September 01, 2008

Extreme

As weekends go I think mine went from two extremes, from very good right through to very bad. Friday was the Craft Victoria talk that Bridget and I went along to. It was a great day, although 8 hours in a dark room was quite difficult even when the talks were so good. My two favourites were Richard Nylon and Barbara and Ben from Klei. Nicola Cerina was also a big inspiration and her studio is amazing.

It also made me realise how friendly and down to earth Melbourne Designers are as all these people are approachable and willing to share their time. It was also nice to have people reaffirm things that I think, but I am not always sure about.






Bridget and I then went along to the Nicholas Building open studio to check out the lovely studios and the views out over Melbourne. Lucy from The Design Files haswritten a great post about it, along with pictures, although I am a bit biased and liked Dan's studio the best. He had a vacuum machine and although he didn't put his pear inside it, he did turn it on for us.

I should have been good and gone home after a nice meal but decided to pretend I was only 20 and go hard without any dinner and finish the night on a kebab, ticking all the boxes for a trashy night on the turps. Saturday at Rose Street was as one would imagine after too many pints although the highlight was our post market drinks in a little alcove in a pub with a fire and a bunch of 70s couches and decor.





The lowlight of the weekend of the sickness that occurred late Saturday night and I'm still feeling today. I've not spent a day in bed in a long time but I couldn't walk for more than a few meters without wanting to lie down again. It meant I missed the Melbourne Etsy/Madeit/Crafty Meetup that Box of Glory went to a lot of effort to organise and I was looking forward to. I smsed Bridget to tell her I wasn't going to make it and she suggested Ginger Tea, which Gareth dutifully made, and I think that helped quite a lot. Doctor Farmer to the rescue!

11 comments:

Kate Moore said...

It was a good to bad kinda weekend here too. Mine was spent in queues at Spotlight and driving around trying to locate a replacement petrol cap. Hope you're feeling better.

hokey said...

I missed it too, for the same reason. Hope you are feeling better today

xx

CurlyPops said...

Hope you're feeling better...can you blame the alcohol or the kebab?

Lucy said...

Hi Anna Laura! Thanks so much for the link and your hilarious comment on my blog! :) It made me laugh out loud! How funny... actually I was quite flustered making sure I got to all the studios and took enough photos etc... so I probably was very distracted and didn't notice anyone looking at me strangely :) So you probably could have stalked me all around the building and I would have been oblivious! But anyway, next time say hi! :) Thanks so much! I'll add your blog on my Melbourne links... Lucy x

Kirsty said...

Sorry you were sick! I hope you're feeling better now.

That little purse is gorgeous!

Bridget Farmer said...

hi anna, i'm glad that tea helped and i hope you're feeling better today. I found out about the ginger tea when i was in china and my friend suddenly felt terrible. the chinese girls in the cafe we were in were so lovely and made her drink ginger tea.

Bridget Farmer said...

hi anna, i've been nominated for a blog award and so I in turn nominate you. you're always my first choice for a blog award because you got me started with mine by inspiring me with your brilliance!

Kyriake said...

Looks like we both missed out hey? I hope you're feeling better!

PS: I can't really take all the credit for the organisation. Shara was amazing! Her organisational skills go above and beyond anything I could do!

PS: I love, love, love the colour of that fabric in the second pic. So organic/natural/calm :)

Penny said...

Ugh ugh, hope you're feeling better - I've been sick for SIX days now and today's the first day I've even been able to drag myself off the couch to the computer. Terrible! Honey, lemon & ginger gets my vote.

MiM said...

love your blog, beautiful work. i will be back! we have been tagged by jason at artboxdiary for open studio posts..
mim :)

Anonymous said...

Richard was a hoot wasn't he? I could have listened to him all day. Hope you are on the mend. WhenI saw my doctor last week he said the whole world was sick at the moment. I missed the etsy meet up too.